Four months have been a really long time for the public transport industry in Uganda, more so riders of commercial motorcycles commonly known as Boda bodas. Riders in Kampala and the entire country have been during the course of the four months since the lockdown was announced been only restricted to carrying cargo with varying passengers hugely forbidden.
As Bodabodas get ready to resume carrying passengers, riders in Kampala have been subjected to more stringent measures which include change of routes and stages. Several roads and atrets are declared no go zones for Bodabodas as Kampala Capital City Authority moves to streamline track sport business in Kampala.
I’m addition to the ministry of health Standard Operational Procedures, several directives have been given for riders in Kampala Metropolitan.
The following and the directives that have to be followed:
- All Boda Bodas must operate at gazetted Boda Boda stages. The list of these stages and maps can be obtained from KCCA website or Ward Administrators at every KCCA Division. Each gazetted stage has a unique reference code and this will be its name.
- All Boda Boda operators must be registered at any of the gazetted stages and this shall be their address to enable contact tracing in case of Covid19 infection. Boda Boda operators are free to register at any gazetted stage of their choice.
- All Boda Boda App companies and associations shall share the register of all their members (after registering every member to a gazetted stage).
- All Boda Bodas who do not operate or belong to the App. Companies/associations shall register with KCCA through their stage leadership. Forms can be downloaded from KCCA website or picked from Ward Administrators at every KCCA Division.
- No Boda Boda operator shall pay any fees to anybody to register on any gazetted stage of choice. Anybody soliciting a bribe should be reported to the relevant authorities.
- Cabinet approved Boda Boda Free Zone where All Boda Bodas are prohibited from entering/accessing. The Boda Boda Free Zone will run along the following boundaries; Wampewo Roundabout- Jinja Road to Kitgum House junction – Access Road – Mukwano Road to Clock Tower –Kafumbe Mukasa Road –Kisenyi Road –Mackay Road- Kyaggwe Road- Watoto Church-Bombo Road – Wandegeya – Hajji Musa Kasule Road- Mulago roundabout- Kamwokya junction – Sturrock Road – Prince Charles Drive- Lugogo Bypass–Jinja Road- Wampewo Roundabout.